FIRAS Installer Certification Scheme
FIRAS certification started in 1994 and has been instrumental in improving standards of installation of fire protection products/systems to the benefit of the construction industry and the clients it serves.
FIRAS is voluntary, third party certification for installation contractors of both passive and active fire protection systems, operated by Warrington Certification, and accredited by UKAS to BS EN ISO/IEC 17065:2012. A comprehensive listing of companies which have FIRAS certification including the scope of their certification can be viewed in the FIRAS Register.
Why choose a FIRAS certificated installation contractor?
FIRAS certificated contractors are required to undergo a 3 stage assessment process. And, only when the applicant contractor has satisfied all of these criteria is certification granted:
- Assessment of office management systems.
- Assessment of workmanship of site for all trade disciplines for which certification is sought.
- Competence assessment of supervisory and installation employees.
FIRAS certification is awarded to the contracting company not the staff. Should a contractor wish to increase their scope of certification, a separate application must be made to attain the additional certification.
All FIRAS site inspectors and sprinkler engineers have technical and practical knowledge and experience in fire protection. Certification requirements have been developed with UK trade associations including:
- ASFP - Association of Specialist Fire Protection - passive fire protection of building structural steel frame, penetration seals (fire stopping), cavity barriers
- BWF - British Woodworking Federation - timber fire doors
- GGF - Glass & Glazing Federation - fire rated glazed screens
- DHF - Door & Hardware Federation - steel fire doors and hardware
- BAFSA - British Automatic Fire Sprinkler Association - Residential and Domestic and Commercial and Industrial Sprinkler Systems
- XACT - Residential & Domestic Sprinkler Design & Installation Training
- SCA - Smoke Control Association
FIRAS certificated contractors are subject to an annual audit of their offices and ongoing, random surveillance site inspections where competence and workmanship are assessed.
Contractors certificated under the scheme for Installers of Residential and Domestic Sprinklers have system designs randomly checked to appropriate standards in addition site inspections.
FIRAS inspectors conduct additional inspections of the work carried out by the certificated contractor on request to satisfy client's needs.
FIRAS certificated contractors are required to log 'contracts in hand' on the FIRAS online database. A 'Certificate of Conformity (Compliance)' for the completed works is issued from the FIRAS online database.